I have done an image for the Star Wars Redesign contest on CG+.
Here are some steps and tricks:
1. I started with refrence gathering and sketching some thumbnails. I knew I would like to do some duel like scene but not in an obvious way. After couple of sketches I decided to make something in like wild west style.
2. I've gathered some reference and "style" board for myself. It helps me keeping with a style and inspire me to be as good:D I've applied simple colours to check my paintinmg as a whole. At this point it is important that the composition stays easy to read!
3. Next step: Modo time. I am not as good in 3D to model the whole Tie fighter! But I am good enough to break it :D
The model itself was done by super talented Kehlan:
4. Added proper background smoke and character- redesign of a Darth Maul.
5. Decided that the pose of the character look a little bit stiff. So I photograph myself in a couple of poses to get some nice reference.
6. Final Result